Advice and Tips
What do I need to do before my plasterer arrives?
Please make sure that you empty the room, removing as much furniture as possible. We'll also need access to a tap for water (ideally an outside tap).
What about radiators, picture hooks, curtain poles etc?
Please ensure that all radiators and other wall mounted items are cleared from the walls. If you are keeping existing light switches and sockets, please ensure that the plates are removed and wires placed into either an electrical choc box or terminal block to make them safe (you may wish to consult an electrician).
Can my Artex ceilings and walls be covered with plaster?
The answer is YES! You can have your Artex ceiling and walls skimmed over.
When can I paint my new plaster?
Please refer to our handy Painting Advice guide >
How can I pick a good plasterer?
- Ideally go on word of mouth from friends and family. If this is not possible, make sure that you check references and feedback from past clients. Members of websites such as Checkatrade are vetted and monitored to ensure a consistent service, in addition to client feedback being transparent.
- We recommend you obtain three quotes. This gives you the opportunity not only to compare price, but to meet your plasterer and get a feel as to whether you feel comfortable having them in your home.
- Beware of tradesmen calling themselves plasterers that have not worked consistently in the industry - that means full time plastering on a daily basis. If someone completed a plastering short course years ago and has only carried out odd jobs since, they are not going to have the skill or experience to provide a professional service.
- Ask for confirmation that the plasterer holds public liability insurance.
- Beware of tradesmen offering other DIY type services in addition to plastering. They are unlikely to be professional plasterers if they have time to do other types of work.
- Don't let price be the deciding factor, look at the bigger picture.
Public Liability Insurance
held up to £1,000,000
Free Written Estimates and
Insurance Work Undertaken
City and Guilds
Reviewed and Monitored